Macrame plant hangers are those Boho-chic hangers made creatively by knotting ropes. It is one of the trending ways to DIY your plant hangers on your own. This trend has made an evident comeback from the 70s and has been made better than ever before. If you are an ornamental or herbal plants lover, then we know you would love the idea of giving wings to your creativity and DIY a macrame plant hanger that will help you display both your indoor and outdoor hanging plants. Firstly, you may happen to find DIYing a macrame plant hanger to be a daunting task, but with practice, you will surely ace it. Using basic knots and patterns like Square knot, Half square knot or spiral knot, and Loop knot, here’s how you need to DIY a Macrame plant hanger.
- 8 pieces of 15-foot long cotton cord (3.1mm thick)
- 2” brass ring
- 2 pieces of 5-foot rope
Here’s How You Need To DIY it
- Collect all 8 pieces of cord, fold them in half and loop them through the ring.
- Now take a 5-foot long piece of string and right below the ring tie a loop knot.
- Gather four strands and tie a square knot. Repeat this step about 6 times.
- With the next group of 4 cords, repeat this pattern and also repeat for the remaining cords.
- Leave approximately 2 ½ inch gap and tie a half square knot.
- Create a 5-inch spiral and until then keep repeat this step.
- For the remaining knot groups, repeat this pattern.
- Now leave a 6-inch gap, creating a crossover square knot using the 2 right cords from your first group and the 2 left cords from the adjacent group.
- Repeat the same for the other remaining groups.
- From the previous step, alternate the cords by leaving a 6-inch gap and creating a crossover square knot.
- Tie a loop knot by leaving a 3 ½ inch gap.
- Cut off the excess cord to give it a tassel finish. Your Macrame plant hanger is ready to hang plants into it.
Now that you have made a Macrame hanger, how does it feel? All this while, we knew we were to discuss the health benefits or the medical advantages of the Macrame plant hanger, but we wanted you to experience it for your own good. Now that you have got this Macrame hanger ready in your hands, you will hang some plants to surround yourself into a calming, positive yet green environment. Crafting a Macrame hanger gives us somewhat an indescribable kind of joy or satisfaction. The idea of crafting these beautiful hangers keeps one engaged and urges one to make fine (cultivating) use of their time. They somehow make us forget all about all worries, blues, and life problems for a while and calms our mind, body, and soul. It is quite therapeutic, to speak of.
Other than keeping up mentally productive, it turns out these plant hangers provide many more health benefits (not maybe directly but as they are linked to plants, they would). To start with, some plants are responsible for cleaning up the air, we breathe. Knowingly or unknowingly, most of the time the air we breathe is full of toxins and carbon dioxides like VOCs emitted by carpet fibres, plastics, paint, and synthetic building materials which leads to causing many respiratory ailments. Not just that, breathing these harmful tiny particles can even cause headaches, sore throats, fatigue, dry throats, itchy skin, and other such diseases. Having a purified invisible blanket of air to breathe can catalyze the recovery process in us humans and also provides us a calming environment wherein we all can breathe, live and be happy and in a peaceful manner.
As per some pieces of research, NASA claims that these plants are responsible for removing up to 96% of carbon monoxide from a room each day. Not just that, but it is also responsible for removing other bad toxins, such as formaldehyde, from the air. So, craft a Macrame plant hanger and give it to your loved ones not just as a piece of decor gift item but as a thoughtful gift of health and happiness for their home.
Get your cords ready and start knotting!